Thursday, September 1, 2011

Idle Hands

Do you ever feel like you're simply existing?  I've had several moments recently where I catch myself doing things and think, "What on earth are you doing?!"  Nothing is the answer. Nothing or mindless tasks that waste being awake time. How easy it is to become stagnant and complacent. How quickly a 'break' can turn into habit.  There's nothing wrong with taking a little me time and with just doing absolutely nothing every once in a while.  However, I generally like to fill my 'me' time with a nice walk or workout, a good book, cleaning something, etc. Tonight after I got home from a delicious sushi dinner I found myself lounging on the couch, Sportscenter on in the background, staring mindlessly at my facebook screen. I snapped out of it, and wondered why I was wasting my precious time zombied out in front of not only the tv, but my computer as well. (Don't worry, my cell phone was not far away either.)  Off went the tv, away went the computer. I soon found myself in a bubble bath with the remainder of A Tree Grows In Brooklyn. It didn't take long before I found myself a teenage girl in 1910s Brooklyn, New York.  A much more scintillating way to spend the evening. Much more stimulating for the mind and soul.  Once I was sufficiently prune-y I wrapped myself in a fluffy warm towel recently out of the drier and finished getting ready for bed.  After all, if I have nothing better to do than practice my zombie impression in front of two dimensional screens with little imagination, I may as well go to bed so I can wake up at a reasonable hour and spend some exercise time with nature :)  Along these same lines, I recently committed to a triathlon next spring with a friend of mine ...yikes!  But it will be good. For the times when working full time and school full time aren't enough to keep me from being too idle, I'll have more to do!  Apparently it's needed. AND training for and completing the triathlon will get my bum in great shape for my 30th birthday extravaganza next summer in Greece!  Who wants to look squishy in Greece?!  Not this girl!  Soft I'll always be, and proudly so, but no more squishy!  Wish me luck folks!!

On another note... the love of my life, my sweet little nephew turned 1 yesterday!! Happy birthday little man! Look forward to pics and party info soon :)

3 comments:

Mindy said...

I AM SO JEALOUS YOU ARE GOING TO GREECE!!

Jenny said...

You are going to Greece! I am JEALOUS, JEALOUS, JEALOUS! Ever since I saw Mamma Mia I have wanted to go to a Greek island, filled with gorgeous Greek men singing and dancing on the beach :)

Kaylia Payne said...

That is so exciting that you are going to Greece! And I know what you mean, I completely zombied out yesterday... I wish I snapped myself out of it like you did!