Saturday, August 20, 2011

During My Break From School

"She wanted to shout it out. She could read! She could read! From that time on, the world was hers for the reading... Books became her friends and there was one for every mood. There was poetry for quiet companionship. There was adventure when she tired of quiet hours. There would be love stories..."

From "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" by Betty Smith (p. 166-167)
The third book I've read since the quarter ended, there are bazillions more to fit into every spare minute I have, and I'm loving it.  The other one I just finished was The Freedom Writers' Diary ...amazing.  I love summer breaks!! 

What's on your summer reading list?

3 comments:

jill said...

i love the freedom writers book...some of those guys played ball for the big west the same time we would have seen them!!

I just finished Michael Vey by Richard Paul Evans (whom I normally hate, but this i really liked) and i still highly recommend Paradise General.

meg fee said...

i love the book a tree grows in brooklyn--my mom used to read it aloud to me.

Kaylia Payne said...

I haven't read either of those, I really want to read the freedom writers, and excerpt you posted is fantastic, so I'll have to check that one out too! At the moment I am reading the Lemony Snicket series. I wish I had read them as a kid, they're fantastic!