Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Beauty

There is something magical in the air the day after labor day. I first noticed it when I was living in New York City. There was a palpable, taste-able change in the air that appears in the middle of the night.  I noticed it again on my run today here in Seattle.  The air is crisp and clean. It's not cool yet, but different somehow. The air is quieter, you're able to hear the smallest of birds chirp.  As I jogged along the shores of Lake Washington, a water plane made lazy circles in the sky. Commercial jetliners came and went from afar off at SeaTac, and there wasn't a boat on the water.  The water was crystal clear, calm, a mirror-like reflection of the surrounding shore.  The water lolled calmly against the short wooden logs that may have supported a bridge in years gone by,   The sail boats were moored, lined up, and still. Even the ducks were gone.  Three lone turtles bathed in the sun on a drift log a way out in the water.  Mt. Rainier stood majestically in the distance, her snow capped peaks stark against the brilliant blue sky.  The trees are still green, not even a summer breeze to ruffle their leaves. But still it's different. And I have to say, this summer-loving girl is excited about it.

3 comments:

jill said...

i love this. i love this because it's true. now you have inspired me to write a note about it.

Kaylia Payne said...

It sounds so beautiful!!! What a gorgeous post :)

Kristy said...

And this year that special day landed on my Dad's birthday. How did you know I needed something beautiful to think of?