Sunday, September 11, 2011

Where Were You

Where were you when the world stopped turning, that September day?  Thanks Allen Jackson for the inspiration for today's title.  So, where were you? I'd say it's a safe bet that we all remember what we were doing that day, the minute, the hour and the rest of the day when we found out.  I can tell you that I pushed the snooze button exactly twice through reports of the first tower being hit with an airplane. I can tell you ever footstep of that entire day. From the classes I attended to the songs I was working on that day in my voice lesson. That day taught us freedom, it's true meaning. That day taught us humility and unity. It taught us gratitude, it taught us what a Hero truly is.  More important than where I was that day, to me at least, is what I've become since then.  September 11, 2001 I was a sophomore at Utah State University hoping to get into the nursing program the next fall. I did. I had yet to fly on my first airplane flight, I had yet to see the ocean, or any place other than home and Yellowstone Park. In the ten years that have passed since that fateful day I like to think that I have fulfilled my own American dream.  I've graduated from a university. Twice. I'm working on my third undergraduate degree and am anticipating my Master's Degree in the near future.  I've been on a plane, I've lived by both oceans. I've lived in New York City. I've been in love, I've had my heart broken, I've found a home, I've loved , I've lost, I've lived. I've become an aunt, and a sister-in-law twice.  I've bought one new car, signed one new apartment lease, and spanned the continent with places I had before only dreamed about. I've become me.  I will never forget that day, I will never forget the things it taught me. I will never not be the me I learned to be.

2 comments:

Scott and Heidi said...

I remember everything I did that day too. It is crazy to think it was so long ago, and look how much we all have accomplished since. I love you and your patriotism :)

Kaylia Payne said...

This is lovely :)