Sunday, February 1, 2009

'Tis the Season

Ah, W-2time. I understand that this is a very stressful time for a large majority of America. Really, I understand. I work in an emergency department, so I see tangible evidence of the stress manifested in the dramatic increase of patients with chest pain and accountants and businessmen who are depressed. Not only this year because of the economic climate we're in, but every year around tax season. As for myself, I'm just not that dramatic. I am fortunate to work in an industry that (knock on wood) has not been and is unlikely to be affected by the recession. I figure us and bartenders are pretty safe :)

I tend to find myself befuddled this time of year. Ever since the first W-2 I got in the mail, but this year more than ever. I cannot for the life of me figure out how I spend so much money. Even when I was in school and paying for tuition and books and rent and utilities and all sorts of grown up bills which accounted for a lot of my money earned, there was still a pretty good chunk that I had no idea where I spent it. Last year I spent the entire year working as a travel nurse. Meaning I have not paid a single solitary penny in rent or utilities. This post isn't about how much money I make, because I had the same thoughts when I made a thousand a year. The amount of money I paid in federal taxes this year is twice what poverty-level income would be. What I'm saying is, that this year, I made a crap load of money, and I spent it all. I thought about how i spent all the money I made and felt bad for a little bit, until I realized that I didn't regret a single dollar spent. I don't remember where each dollar went, but I can tell you that I don't regret a single trip to Disneyland, SeaWorld, the beach, Canal St., vacations, flights home to see family, dinners and movies out with friends etc. You can't put a price on fun, but if I could, I would say that according to my W-2 this year, I had a whole lotta fun. And I wouldn't trade a second of it --or a penny :) Happy tax season everyone!!!

















No comments: