Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Perhaps...

So a couple posts ago I wrote about how I had no idea how I spent so much money. A couple days after that I spent $200 at the salon on my hair. As I was leaving the salon I was forced into the Ann Taylor Loft store near the salon. Yes, forced. Not one of the strangers in the Mall that day said, "Toni, do not go in that store, you don't need $400 in new clothes." Well, ok, maybe I wasn't forced, but no one did anything to prevent it, what's a girl to do? I did take a 3 day spending hiatus when I went home for Sarah's wedding --I was simply too busy to go shopping ...although I did have several meals out ...hmm. Then I was really good when I got back home here because I did nothing but work and get caught up on sleep for three days. Yesterday I only went out to dinner once with a friend and to one movie. I'll get to that in a minute. Today I was terribly bored and was plucking my eyebrows when I became paranoid (due to many hours spent watching What Not To Wear and 10 Years Younger) that I was looking much older than my 26 years. This had to be fixed. Stat. So I ventured back to the mall and spent $112 on new night cream, a skin regenerating serum, and a small bottle of lotion that was near the register. I hate it when you wash your hands in public restrooms and don't have lotion in your bag, so this was really a necessary purchase. And was it my fault that I had to walk back through Nordstrom to my car? There wasn't an entrance that went directly to the store I went to. And it certainly wasn't my fault that the shoes were by the exit. It was clearly no fault of my own that the new summer line of Enzo Angiolini 4" wedge-heeled sandals were on display by the aisle. And it wasn't me that made the shoes call my name. Therefore, I am barely --if at all --responsible for the $108 I spent on the cutest pair of new sandals currently in my closet. I'm just sayin'.

Appendix I: (not the body part, but meant as an appendage to the previous body of literature) He's Just Not That Into You. The book: Wonderful. Every girl needs to read it. The only flaw is the lack of the chapters entitled 'How to make knowing that he's just not that into you okay' and 'Where to find the kind of man that we're telling you exists in this book.' The movie however is a different story. It is all fine and good until the end when Hollywood realized that the brutal reality that is the glory of the book isn't what people want to see in a movie. It doesn't make for a Hollywood happy ever after ending ...and you should all know how I feel about happily ever after. If not, there's previous posts on it. I 'm not going to rehash it here. The point is, that the ending of the movie completely un-does the lessons that we women need to hear; the lessons that were well made throughout the movie. The movie ends with the message, "don't worry, the jerk that won't marry you will eventually come around, and the guy that isn't that into you and was using you will be into you if you hang around long enough." The last line of the movie actually says, "Don't give up hope, ladies!" We shouldn't give up hope, but we shouldn't give up hope that someone who deserves us actually exists and will come along (I'm still working on it, but that's a different story :) ). We should absolutely give up hope that the douche-bag we're waiting around for is going to turn into prince charming. It's not going to happen. That's the beauty of the book. So, all in all, an okay movie if you're looking for a typical chick-flick, but not deserving of the same title as the greatest book ever written for women.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Think of your forced spending this way...you're helping pull our country out of this horrible economy pitfall! Post pictures of the new sandals immediately!

Mindy said...

I hate it when complete strangers do NOTHING to help with over-spendaging. :) Curse that movie for ruining the entire point of the movie!