Tuesday, May 3, 2011

One more follow up thought...

"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." Martin Luther King, Jr.


Now this man was greater than I in many aspects. And while I don't think I'm quite here yet (not just in light of recent events but in general) I think it's where I'd like to be; what I'd like to work toward. I'm not a "true love conquers all" person, and I'm definitely not saying that "make love, not war" is the solution, nor do I want to be. Quite honestly I think both mottos are a load of crap. But I think it has more to do with attitude. Gratitude always, striving for humility, and still and always a firm believer in justice. But justice does not need to be boastful or prideful.

I'm a firm believer that war is a necessary evil. I am an avid supporter of our military, our government and their efforts. Our military men and women are truly heroes. But in my personal life, for me myself here at home, I love the saying from one of my favorite Broadway musicals, RENT. The opposite of war isn't peace, it's creation. Create good things. Create positivity. And do so to support the war and the noble cause behind it. For conquer we must, when our cause it is just. And this be our motto, in God is our trust.

*quote ammended :)
)

3 comments:

Mindy said...

My first thought when I heard he was dead was seriously the line from the Star Spangled Banner that you quoted, "Then conquer we must when our cause is just." P.s. The MLK quote is a fake. http://m.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2011/05/out-of-osamas-death-a-fake-quotation-is-born/238220/

jill said...

The real MLK quote is,
"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." From Stength to Love, pg 53 by MLK jr.

Still a pretty brilliant quote, as are your points :)

meg fee said...

yes, still a pretty brilliant quote.

and yes: i TOTALLY HEAR YOU ON THE BREAKUP THING (regarding your last comment). that can take a lot of learning to love yourself again.