Monday, May 2, 2011

Freedom Is Not Free

Nearly ten years ago I can still tell you nearly every step of my day. From pushing the snooze button twice, to going to my early morning microbiology lab and the rest of my classes, to the voice lesson I went to, I can even tell you the songs I was practicing that day. I can tell you where I sat in the TV room glued to the news before I had to go to my induction to the National Society of Collegiate Scholars ceremony. I can tell you every minute of that day better than if it was yesterday.

Now I can tell you where I was when I heard the news today that Osama Bin Laden was captured and killed. I was on break at work. At work at a career that I was working hard to obtain the education for when this war on terror began (I was not even finished with my prerequisites for the nursing program when this all began). I was sitting next to a Marine, both of us glued to the TV in silence. A marine who's entire 8 year military career took place in the time after the beginning of the war on terror, and ending before the mastermind was captured. A marine who's two tours of duty culminated in an unintentional flight in a hum-vee resulting in a broken neck and purple heart. He finished the tour of duty with a broken neck in Iraq in a hard collar. I hugged him and we sat cuddled on the break room couch watching the news. I texted my friend who is in airborne combat medic training for the army in Texas. He hadn't heard the news yet so I called to give the details.

I am reminded on this day that Freedom truly is not free. The blood, sweat, and tears of thousands have been shed for what we gained today. So that I can go to sleep safe in my bed with one less terrorist in the world. While it is a large step and closure for many people, we're not done yet. I said to my Marine friend, "I hope we make it through the inevitable retaliations with as little loss as possible." He looked at me and said "We'll be fine. They'll be fine." Meaning the servicemen and women who are beating down doors and living in sweltering miserable conditions as I type this very post from the comfort of my living room.

Gratitude, patriotism, and a certain amount of anxiety fill my heart tonight. Anxiety for my friends and thousands that I don't know who still lie in threat and harms way. Threat and potential harms possibly to get worse? I also can't help but yearn to be in New York with "my people" tonight. I've shared before that I often feel disjointed because my heart is in Seattle, my soul resides in New York City, and my mind with with my sweet little nephew back home. Today is one of those times. I feel a need to be in New York, the ultimate place of closure for today's news. I feel a need to hug a fireman. And a Navy Seal. And my parents. And I pray for the continued blessings and support of our servicemen and women who continue to give so much to ensure the freedom and safety of so many.

Now I lay me down to sleep...one less terrorist this world does keep...with all my heart I give my thanks...to those in uniform regardless of ranks ...you serve our country and serve it well...with humble hearts your stories tell... so as I rest my weary eyes...while freedom rings, our flag still flies...you give your all, do what you must, with God we live and God we trust...Amen!

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. --US Declaration of Independence

2 comments:

jill said...

Thanks for these thoughts... There is so much mixed emotion related to this. I wish I could have been celebrating in NY or DC, and today people are upset at the celebrating...but really I look at it as a celebration of the beginning of a new peace and justice for those deeply affected by 9/11, not as a relish of violent revenge. Who knows what will happen next, but I don't see the world feeling bad about the liking the loss of Hitler or Hussain... so let's just be proud of America and the intelligence community and our beloved troops.

meg fee said...

i differ from jill in that i don't want to celebrate in any way--at least not in any public way, but the depth of my gratitude for the servicemen in this country knows no bounds. their courage, sacrifice and commitment is unparalleled. and i go to bed every night knowing i am safer because of them. you're right though, i need to find someone to hug. thanks for the beautiful post.