Monday, May 9, 2011

Narcissism

Thank goodness for spell checker ...that's a tough word to spell. Anyways, my name is Toni and I am a vapid narcissist. It's true. I come to realize this more and more. The most recent case in point was the holiday weekend. I spent the entire weekend in somewhat of a melancholy state. You see, I love my mother, and I love my family, and I miss them terribly. And on holidays especially such as this one it is quite hard for me to be so far away. This was not the main reason behind my mood however. You see, I realized that the mother's day holiday is a weekend long celebration and reminder of the thing I have failed at most in life. Yes, that's right, it's always about me :) See, you thought I was kidding about the narcissism...

Don't get me wrong, I love mothers, they absolutely get their own special day and deserve so much more. I in fact find it somewhat ...offensive? That people who are not mothers are lumped in this category. Let's celebrate the day for what it is. Motherhood. A day for the most noble most challenging and most rewarding profession there is. A day for the people who are primarily responsible for the raising and nurturing of little ones, no matter what their age is. Mothers that are and mothers that were, and the mothers that have given birth and then given the gift of motherhood to someone else. I'm an aunt and an auntie, I'm a role model (of sorts, or so I'm told), I'm a friend, and I am a pretty big deal in general (thanks Mindy :) ). I'm an important person, and I do many great things and I love many people, but I am not a mother. Not yet.

I yearn for this and look forward to the day when the blessing of wife and mother becomes mine. I struggle at times to remember that I am still young and clearly not ready or it would have happened already. For goodness' sake!! I'm only 28 years old!!! Life is great, and life is an amazing adventure and I revel in the things I learn every day and in the experiences and adventures that are mine and mine alone. As a dear friend reminded me yesterday (after a text inquiring if I was the only one feeling like the weekend was a glaring reminder of my failure in the area) I have not failed. I haven't attempted yet. And I still have so many more great and wonderful experiences to discover. Many more days to prepare me to be the best wife and mother I can be. I have a lot to live up to in the example of my mother and the many great mothers that surround me, and I certainly don't want to rush.

I'm not saying I want this now, the thought of it puts me in a certain state of panic... So why the melancholy? I don't know. Cultural/religious expectations born and bred into me? Maybe just because I'm a girl and let's face it, girls are crazy :) But someday for sure. For there truly is no more noble and blessed calling than that of mother.

4 comments:

Mindy said...

I am glad you said this. I didn't know how to say it this way, so I attempted mine. In many ways, Mother's Day can be worse than Valentine's Day. When is there a day to celebrate OLDER, single woman??????? :) I.love.you!!!!

Anonymous said...

Don't EVER underestimate your potential as a daughter of God! You have so many talents and are such a caring, kind beautiful woman! I love you very much! Love mom

Kaylia Payne said...

I like what you wrote, about learning more every day about how to be the best wife and mother you can be :) And you ARE still young, plenty of time! It's wonderful that you know what you want and are so passionate about it. I missed on the 'wanting/liking children' gene..and sometimes I really do feel like I'm missing out on something special.

h said...

This is going to be slightly offensive, but being a mother isn't truly the "most challenging" job of all, is it?

I mean, it's difficult, sure, but there are certainly even more difficult jobs. Like, say, the nuclear power plant engineers in Japan who have to stay behind to try and fix the plant and save hundreds of thousands of lives.

That's what we need, nuclear engineers' day, heh...I think we have Mother's Day, because most everyone has interacted with a mother at some point.