Monday, December 29, 2008

2008 is almost over ...Part II

So the last post really got me thinking. I don't believe in New Years Resolutions. There are many things that factor into the equation here. I am very much like a 5 year old child --reverse psychology will get me more often than any other form of manipulation. But it has to be done right. I don't like feeling like I "have" to do things. For this reason (and others ...let's be honest) I don't like Harry Potter. I've never read them, I've never felt the need to, I have absolutely no desire to. I've never seen the Indiana Jones movies, StarWars, Lord of the Rings, etc. If you tell me I have to do something, the thought that goes through my head is, "Oh yeah? Watch me!" By the same token, I will do things simply because I want to, or because other people don't think I can/should/would. I'm more than a little stubborn. Some might not find it an attractive trait, but I've embraced it :)

So. New Years Resolutions. I think they're stupid. New Year's day is in all reality just another day. Each day is a whole new beginning with infinite possibilities and limitless potential. There is nothing special about the beginning of a new year that is not also special about the beginning of a new day, week, or month. I think that we should be continually striving to improve, and continually resolving to do better things and become better people. Similar to my dislike for Valentines Day --I think it's commercial and over done. As I've explained to many a folk --I would rather receive one single daisy on some random Tuesday than a dozen roses on Valentines Day. It's a Hershey's and Halmark fueled annoyance that is a thorn in the side of all true romantics and nonconformists. Not to say that VDay can't be special and done right, but don't just get me a dozen roses because it's VDay and you feel obligated. Ahem. Pardon the side track. As I was saying, my feelings about New Years Resolutions are similar to my feelings on Valentines Day. Don't expect me to write a list of things I'm going to do better or fix about myself just because it's January 1st. If you're into such resolutions, that's fine, I'm not attacking you personally, but that just isn't the way my brain works. My resolutions are really more of a continually working and revolving bucket list of sorts. Things I want to do, things I want to see, and things I want to become. For this reason, I started taking piano lessons in August last year. The things that I have accomplished and become, I have accomplished because I decided that I wanted to be a better person. I decide this every day. That said, I won't be posting about any resolutions I'm making in the upcoming week, because I won't be making any. Just for the sake of balance :)

Year in review then. It has been an absolutely awesome year. Every year manages to get better and better than the last. This year I have lived in Southern California, been to Mexico, I picked up running while I was on the beach, a habit that has stayed with me since, I've lost 40 pounds, I've been to Disneyland and SeaWorld, I've driven from San Diego to Seattle on the Pacific Coast Highway --hugging the line between land and water the entire length of the country. I've done a lot of soul searching and self discovery. I've completed an entire journal and started this blog in the interest of developing my passion for writing. I've delivered babies, saved more lives than I can count, and helped others leave this world in as peaceful and dignified way possible. I've laughed from sheer joy, utter exhaustion, anger, and despair. I've cried tears of the same emotions. I lived in the biggest and greatest city in the world, and came out a better person for it. I've become more assertive, more self confident, and one hell of an ER nurse ...If I do say so myself :) (Yes this is a 'blowing my own horn' post --but it's my blog and my year in review, deal with it :) ) I visited Washington DC, seen the west wing of the White House, been to Arlington National Cemetery. I saw the Yankees and RedSox play in Yankee Stadium ...in the Stadium's final year. I saw the Knicks play, and Janet Jackson Perform at Madison Square Garden. I went to my first NFL game. I fell in love. I found what right now feels like my home --perhaps permanently, we'll see. I paid off three credit cards. I learned enough medical Spanish to get by at work. I ate sushi for the first time. I didn't like it. I made many many new friends and strengthened existing friendships. I went on my first Seattle ferry ride. I've been to the top of the Space Needle and the Empire State Building. I toured the haunted remains of an underground city. I had my feet in the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans. All in all it's been a good year. I've been busy, but I think this covers most of the things that were new and things that I worked on throughout the year. Here's to another fabulous year of new experiences! Happy New Year everyone!!

5 comments:

BH said...

I like your theory on New Year Resolutions. It depends on the year for me if I will do them. The only resolution I have this year is to exercise 5 days a week but only because beginning on Jan 1 Ben's work will pay me $200 a year to do so.

I loved your year in review. You have done some amazing things. Your writing ability always blows me away! Way to go on exercising and starting piano lessons! I'm totally impressed.

Jenny said...

You're too funny! I tend to lean more to the goal setting myself but then you make a good point...I never accomplish anything so why bother? And like Becky, I'm totally impressed by your year in review. Piano lessons, woah! But didn't you have a piano growing up?

Unknown said...

Lol, no, we had an organ for a while and we got a piano when I was in hs, and I taught myself to play a little bit, but I decided that I wanted to learn how to actually play :)

Anonymous said...

Wow Toni! I loved reading about your year! Have to say I'm a little envious... maybe I'll get to do some of those things some day too! But in the meantime I have to agree COMPLETELY with your thoughts on New Year's Resolutions! That's exactly how I've always thought about things, it's something we should be doing every day, just because we want to try a little harder to be a little better, as President Hinckley would say. If I want to do something, I don't need a turn of the calender to motivate me. It's funny how we all think our goals are much easier to tackle on Jan 1st! Well,cute Toni you are a smart, funny, darling girl and I look forward to seeing you again next time you decide to come back to boring little North Logan. :)

Anonymous said...

I've always thought you were amazing! Love you lots!!
Love, Mom