Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Me Time

In my old age, I'm becoming set in my ways. It turns out as much as I love my adventures and the going out and the dinners and the movies with friends, I need one single solitary day per week that's all mine. A day when I can sleep in 'till I please, then lounge on the couch with a bag of popcorn watching Sex and the City reruns in my pj's and Yankee snuggie. Yes, I have one of those. A day when I can eat a multivitamin and some kool-aid for breakfast and rice-krispie treats for dinner. A day when I don't wash my face (don't tell my aesthetician), floss my teeth (don't tell my dentist), comb my hair, put my contacts in, or get dressed. For good measure, I may open the door and take a couple deep breaths of fresh crisp outside air just to say I can, then I shut the door and go back to lounging on the couch with a good book... currently The Hunger Games. A day when I don't feel guilty about turning down Thai food with friends, because I've worked all week. Tomorrow I'll be in Portland experiencing VooDoo donuts, fine Peruvian cuisine, and the touring cast of Wicked. I'll be saying 'see you soon' to a friend leaving for a travel assignment in Pasadena. Friday I'll be working and Saturday I'll be celebrating, as she put it, a friend's last chance to get dressed up and have a good time using the excuse I was young and dumb and in my twenties. So today is my lazy day. When I don't see anyone, or do anything at all really. And I love it. Perhaps I'll talk with my family on the phone or via skype. Perhaps I'll play some scrabble or pictionary via smart-phone with a a couple friends, but really I live for this one day a week that is all mine.

No comments: