Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Days and Years

Me: I'm looking for a cable to connect my Blu-Ray player to my modem. I need one with one end that looks like a phone cord and one end that looks like a wide phone cord... like an LAN or something like that.

Man at electronics counter: (looks at me with a blank stare) Well... that's gonna be complicated. First you need a router...

Me: That's what I meant! My router. A cable to connect my blu-ray to my router. Different ends.

Maec: (looks at me with a blank stare) ...huh... I don't think we have any cords with a 4.371 and a 4.2smi --which is technical talk for what you just said. How old is your blu-ray player?

Me: I don't know, a year and a half maybe? Two years?

Maec: Really? Interesting... I don't even think they make cords like that.

Me: Well, can you just show me the LAN sized ones and the phone cord sized ones and I'll buy one of each and make it work?

Maec: (skeptically) Uh... sure.

So I did. I bought a phone cord, and a LAN cable cord. I came home from work and discovered that indeed both ends needed to be the LAN size. I must have been really sleep deprived last time I looked at it. So I hook it up, turn on my blu-ray player and immediately a message comes up that says I have a software update. Which I assumed. It's why I had been on the hunt. A couple of my blu-ray discs had been skipping and acting weird. So I started the update, and discovered that my blu-ray player was last updated when I bought it in ...2007!!! As in five years ago. As in not one or two years. Where on earth has the time gone?  Craziness.  Among the books I'm currently reading is Tinkers by Paul Harding. In it the main character who is on his deathbed and reviewing his life verbalizes that the days are long but the years are short. How true is that. Anyway... that's my thought for the day. Days are long, but the years are short. And also, update your firmware :)

No comments: