Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Subtle Clues

There are moments in life when you realize life has trying to tell you something. I had one of those the other morning. I was driving home from work and realized that I'd been listening to the same CD in my car for the past two weeks. Over and over and over on repeat. It's the only thing I was ever in the mood to listen to. I had originally burned the CD with some degree of apprehension because the only two times I listened to the playlist previously were a) in a bubble bath and b) on an airplane to drift off to sleep --95% of the time before take-off. It was almost like a sacred playlist, one only two be used for my two favorite activities: bubble baths and traveling. I can only remember two occasions when I made it past the first two songs while on an airplane, it relaxed me that fast and I was out. But I was burning CDs to keep the 6-disc changer of my car for when I got tired of the radio (which happens frequently). I had made one of my favorite Kenny Chesney songs, one with angry girl music, Frank Sinatra, the Wicked soundtrack, and my favorites from Rent/Phantom/Les Mis. I had one spot left so I burned the list to a disc. My ultimate relaxation lullaby/bubble bath mix. This is the CD that has been on repeat for two weeks. I think life was trying to tell me that i needed to take a minute and relax, that I was running myself ragged. Thank goodness for my upcoming vacation this weekend, I am in dire need of some r&r!!!  In case any of you could use the same message, the following is my top-secret bread-and-butter fail-proof relaxation list. It started as a disney/lullaby list that got me through nursing school and working nights in a nursing home, evolved into a relaxing "driving through terrible Logan winter weather" mix, and it's been tweaked several times since by different places, faces, and memories. Here's the current list --in order of course :) Put in on for a nice relaxing bubble bath in candle light. It's pure magic, I swear!

1.  All Will Be Forgotten --Holly Brook
2.  Clair de Lune --The APM Orchestra
3.  Ordinary Miracle --Sarah McLachlan (linked video is seriously worth watching)
4.  Bubbly Toes --Jack Johnson
5.  What a Wonderful World --Louis Armstrong
6.  Still, Still, Still --Jon Schmidt (this one soothed me to sleep on many a restless night)
7.  Come Away With Me --Norah Jones
8.  Ten Thousand Angels --Cademon's Call
9.  Somewhere Over the Rainbow --Israel "Iz" Kamakawiwo'ole
11. Old Blue Chair --Kenny Chesney (Ah, Kenny. Sigh.)
12. So You Are To Me --East Mountain South
13. Baby of Mine --Alison Krauss
14. Orange Sky --Alexi Murdoch
17. Rain City --Turin Brakes
18. You and Tequila --Kenny Chesney (feat. Grace Potter)

Wow ...it kinda feels like I betrayed a deep personal secret sharing that...but I know you'll enjoy it, it really is magic. Special props to Old Blue Chair ...no matter where I am or what my mood is, that song takes me to such a calm relaxed zen place, instantly transporting me to wherever I want to be. What is it about music?  Crazy. Love.

3 comments:

Chelsea said...

I absolutely LOVE the power of music. It can fix any crazy mood I am in. :) I've gotta give you props for Kenny's Old Blue Chair. I could listen to that song on repeat all day. Love it. Love you!

Scott and Heidi said...

You have inspired me. Tonight, I am going to take my computer with me and enjoy myself a nice bubble bath to relieve some stress. Love and miss you dearly..

Mindy said...

Seriously, Toni. Where is your loyalty to your sacred CD? What a tainted list this now is. Uhhhm, I only know like two of those songs. :) But I think I shall listen to a few. :)