Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Snowmageddon

That's what they're calling the winter storm hitting the Pac NW as we speak. It will give many of you great giggles to know that there is a predicted 2 inches today and 4-6 tomorrow and people have emptied out grocery stores and stocked enough fuel for their cars for the end of the world.  Seriously. I went to the grocery store last night when I got off work at 0330 to get some chicken noodle soup I had been craving.  The store was packed. At 0330. And there were lines at the gas station. At 0330. And it's going to be raining again in 3 days. As in the rain will wash all the snow away. The massive couple inches that will effectively shut down an entire city. No exaggeration.

You will also be glad to know that I made it safely home from work during the frightening snowmageddon. There was even two full inches of fluffy glittery snow on my car when I left work. The roads were icy and un-plowed, the snow was falling, and I have a 4-cylinder car with front wheel drive. And I do not own chains. Or snow tires --if I didn't need them in Logan, I don't need them here. And I made it home safely, up hills, and down hills, all by myself like a big girl!  In all seriousness though, the following video effectively illustrates why a mere two inches of snow effectively shuts an entire city down. It was from Monday's two inches.  Intersection of Boren Ave. and University St.



A few tips for my Seattle friends, and anyone else unfamiliar with driving in the snow:

  • If you don't have to (Drs, RNs, firefighters, police, etc) DON'T drive.
  • If there is even a remote possibility that you would ever simply abandon your car and start walking down the freeway, planning to come back and retrieve your car when the snow has stopped, do not even leave your house to get in your car. (I wish I was making up the fact that that's what people do here. In no more than two inches of snow.)
  • If you must drive in the snow, go slow.
  • Do not change speeds or directions quickly. Meaning don't slam on your breaks, slam on the gas pedal or make any sharp turns. 
  • To stop on ice, pump your breaks.
  • To go down a hill down-shift your car. To first or second gear. Do NOT ride your breaks down the entire hill.
  • On second thought... just call someone who knows how to drive in the stuff. Sans chains, sans 4-wheel drive.

2 comments:

Mindy said...

Logan winters have taught you much. :)

Scott and Heidi said...

Hahahahahaha! That is all I have to say :)