Friday, April 22, 2011

Just Around the Riverbend

Remember when you were young and you were going to change the world? I remember when I was little and even when I was not so little, I was so sure that I was destined for great things. When I left my home in North Logan UT and headed to New York City I was being all that I could be. I was making something of myself and conquering the world. I also conquered the world in Southern California, Seattle, and NYC again. So now here I am pondering away. I think that sometimes the world kicks back just a little bit. We get discouraged and we get our feelings hurt by this friend or by that comment or by that missed opportunity. Things work out the opposite of the way we thought they should and sometimes I think we forget to get back up. Just for a minute. No one thinks that they want to be defeated forever, no one wants to be defeated at all I'm sure. But sometimes I think it's easy to sit down on the hike of life and just take a break for a minute. And before you know it it's been a lot more than a minute. Something happens, you get a refreshing reminder from this friend or from that comment, you see new opportunities, and you realize how stagnant you had been. Rest is over, there are worlds to be changed, people places and things to improve!! Things pick up and you pick yourself up an get moving. Ah, forward progress. Not always forward, sometimes sideways, sometimes back, and sometimes in circles because, well, that's life. But motion none the less. We are still destined for great things. Each of us. I can't not believe that! Just a thought for the day :) Happy Weekend!! Oh, and, new favorite quote I heard the other day... "Like water, be gentle and strong. Be gentle enough to follow the natural paths of the earth, and strong enough to rise up and reshape the world." --Brenda Peterson


2 comments:

meg fee said...

yes, sometimes a pause, a break can be just what the doctor ordered. and that quote is perfection. to rise up and change the world...yes, yes, yes.

jill said...

It's a careful balance between being afraid to take a pause and being too comfortable in a pause to get out. sigh, if only deciding what to do were easier sometimes.