Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Nature Therapy

That's right, nature therapy. I'm a big fan. I don't know what it is about being out in nature, but there is something so serene and calming and centering about it. It is wonderful! Here in Manhattan we do nature in the form of parks. New York City does parks really well. I know that everyone thinks bright lights and big buildings and times square and Broadway and busy-ness when they think of the city; the city certainly does all those things well too. But they do parks really well --did I say that already? And not just Central Park. The first time I came to the city Central Park was my favorite place outside of Yankee Stadium. It was the only park I went to. When I lived out on Long Island, it didn't take long before Bryant Park was my favorite. Now, I'm in an adventurous mood and trying to hit all the local scenes, and I have had two favorites since I've lived in the city. First Riverside Park, and most recently Fort Tryon Park. Both of these are on the upper west side. Riverside park actually goes from right by my house all the way up the island and has a beautiful running trail right on the Hudson River. I found Fort Tryon Park the other day on the recommendation from a friend at work. I was having an icky day and needed somewhere where I could be outside in the daylight and dressed in normal clothes instead of scrubs. I walked out of the subway station into the park and instantly my bad mood evaporated! It was just being there. In the middle of the trees and the flowers, with quiet. And birds and squirrels playing in the trees. I walked all around and had a great time.

It's really kind of funny. When I moved from NY to the OC, I kept doing things in Cali that made me remember the city easier. When I moved from the OC to Seattle, I spent forever at Elliot Bay and at all of what they called "beaches" trying to keep the SoCal spirit. And now that I'm back in the city, I find myself seeking out lush green parks, and salty fish-y boardwalks, and looking forward to overcast days because it eases my homesickness for Seattle. I don't know how I'm ever going to pick a place to settle down! But in the meantime, enjoy some pics from my nature therapy over the past month!

Riverside Park

Central Park

Not a park, but twilight from my balcony --still nature-y :)

Morningside Park

Butterflies in Fort Tryon Park --In October :)

Fort Tryon

Fort Tryon

Me in Fort Tryon

George Washington Bridge at dusk from Fort Tryon Park

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Nature sure does have a calming effect. Those parks all look amazing! Great pics!

Mindy said...

I loooooove the parks too! I still cannot believe I got to RUN in Central Park! Oh, happiness! I think I will return again someday soon! :)