Friday, April 12, 2013

The Greatest City in the World

I'm sitting here slathered in menthol, drinking my tea, and watching last night's Project Runway bemoaning the fact that I have to go to work in a couple hours. I really wish I worked in a career that it was acceptable to call in sick when you're sick. But, I digress. The designers each went to a different European city for inspiration and fabric. I watched the scenes play out in Barcelona, Berlin, London, and Paris. Then they came back to the designer left in New York City, and I as they showed the skyline I realized that I'd rather be there than at any of the other placed they showed. Sure I'd like to go to all of those cities in Europe, and it would be amazing to see all the history. And I will go someday, and it will be incredible, and I will love it. And I loved my time in Greece and wouldn't trade it for anything. But there's something about you, New York. You will always hold my soul, no place will ever compare, you truly are the greatest city in the world. What is it about you?! Sigh.  That got me thinking. Living on my own in New York and discovering myself and becoming myself... Living in New York is my single most proud accomplishment of my first thirty years. There truly are no words. I can try, and I have, but ultimately the experience was mine alone and always will be. It simply has to be lived.  But I was reminded of another list of 30 things you should know by 30 that I found on glo by MSN the other night at work.  Enjoy!

30 Things You Should Know By 30

1.  That when he doesn't call back, it's not because he didn't get the message.
2.  That there's a difference between love and lust.
3.  That sometimes sleeping in and sleeping alone is the ultimate luxury.
4.  How to strike up a conversation with a handsome stranger.
5.  How to get ready to go out in less than 20 minutes.
6.  That the dishes can wait, but not forever.
7.  That time really does move faster as you get older.
8.  How to prepare at least one dish that doesn't require a microwave.
9.  How to dine out --and truly enjoy it.
10.  How to change your oil.
11.  How to life without a credit card.
12.  How to ask for a raise.
13.  How to respond when you don't get one.
14.  How to make the most of your vacation days.
15.  How to sign up for a cell phone/data pkg/buy a car without getting fleeced.
16.  What a retirement plan is and how to make sure you're setting aside enough.
17.  Your drink of choice.
18.  Your alcohol limit.
19.  That sometimes nothing feels as good as getting carded.
20.  How to tell a good non-dirty joke -you never know when you'll need a good ice breaker.
21.  That a good friend will forgive you if you forget her birthday.
22.  How to put someone else first.
23.  How to agree and disagree -and really mean it.
24.  That your family baggage is to heavy to keep carrying around.
25.  That staying out of the sun really is the best anti-aging advice.
26.  That certain fashion trends aren't worth trying. Ever.
27.  That you're either a person who can wear bangs, or you're not.
28.  That making timelines for your life is generally a waste of time.
29.  That changing your mind doesn't mean you're inconsistent -it just means you're smart enough to know that our views and opinions evolve.
30.  That someone will always be prettier or younger or smarter or more successful. But no one else will ever be quite the same combination of those things that you are.

Now, to save myself the time and finger exercise of saying it after each one... So true!!!!

No comments: