Sunday, February 6, 2011

Thank Heaven

Thank Heaven for mommies!!! Among the wonderful and thoughtful gifts I got for Christmas this past year is a good friend of mine. She doesn't have a name yet, but I'm in love. It's this most amazing hot pack that my mom made and sent to me. It's a large beanbag-like fabric pouch filled with dry rice and yummy smelling spices. You put it in the microwave for 1-3 minutes and then enjoy the cuddly warmth. Great for cuddling when lonely or cold, great for cramps, pms, and chilly toes. I use it frequently, but last time I was home I found a new use. I was pondering the sad state of my sinuses with my father (whom I inherited them from). He said that lately the only thing that has helped him feel better is to put the hot pack over his face and lay in a quiet room. So today after having a fever, exploding head, sore throat, and general sinus-head-rearing misery, I came home from work, loaded up on the NyQuil (one of God's greatest inventions), motrin, afrin, pepcid, and zofran --Yes I'm like my own pharmacy ...it's amazing what you can get to help yourSELF feel better ...just over the counter ...just sayin'. You too, boys and girls can get all sorts of great pain relievers, fever reducers, decongestants, and cold remedies, and antacids at your local pharmacy/drugstore/walmart/etc. Any who, so I drugged myself up, visions of sugarplums preparing to dance in my head, and I threw the hot pack in the microwave for a couple minutes while I washed my face, brushed my teeth, and got ready for bed. Then I grabbed the warm pack of heaven, went to bed and placed the warm heat over my pounding sinuses. Instant relief!! Amazing. I let it sit there enjoying the warm comfort, feeling the pulse in my nose disappear (you shouldn't have a pulse in your nose, it's ok) until the bag became room temperature again. I felt so inspired and so much better that I decided to come tell you all about it. Highly recommended. Moms are pretty great!! And even when you're 28 and sick and whiny they still know how to make you feel better, even from a thousand miles away. And dads are pretty great too, quite inventive and ingenuitive. I think I might have just made up a word ...time for my drug induced slumber. Goodnight all!!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

You are like a small pharmacy? Zofran? Geez! I had to beg my insurance company to get me that.

And yes, you always want your mommy when you are sick. No matter how old you are.