Saturday, September 11, 2010

I Live For Gameday!


I made it through my second year in a row of not living in New York City on September 11th. It still seems weird. And I still miss it. I miss the spirit of solemn remembrance that blankets the city. I miss seeing the phantom lights where the towers were. I miss seeing Lady Liberty and thinking of what she's meant to so many through the years.

September 11th is still a day I will never forget. It still is a day I spend in humble gratitude to our military forces, fire and police officers that afford us the life we have. It is a day I am particularly grateful for the life I have been given the opportunity to lead. It is a day I am honored to know many of the Men who have served abroad to protect our way of life and to afford that opportunity to others, and I am grateful for them.

Today instead of ground zero remembrances and lights that shoot from near-hallowed grave site grounds, I celebrate in a different way. A way that I feel is perhaps more appropriate. I have these memories in my mind and will keep them always. But today I not only remember the day, the people, and the events, but I celebrate the spirit that those things fell for. I spent the day with my family. Playing games, eating yummy treats, chasing kiddos around in laughter. I spent the evening at my alma mater. The place from which I gained an education, two degrees, and so much more. I put on my gameday gear, full of Aggie pride and watched my Men in Blue kick some ass on the football field. I sat with my wonderful and amazing family (and thousands of our closest friends ;) ) at Merlin Olsen Field at Romney Stadium in Logan, UT and watched the sun set over the rim of the stadium behind my majestic mountains while watching some good old football. I love my family, I love my life, I love my country, and I love my men and women who serve and protect us so that I can love all of these things. And because of them, as it says on my new t-shirt... I live for Gameday! And I love my Aggies!!!

disclaimer: I'm on a different computer and I can't make the photos be in chronological order... so they're backwards --grr.

3 comments:

jill said...

I love love love this blog post for so many reasons. I am also super impressed baby boston made it to a game so quickly! love you all!!

Melissa M said...

OH youre so cute. I sure miss you! Hope you have a great time in our ol stomping ground!!

Jenny said...

I didn't know you were at the game! We were too... well we went to the tailgate party then Jeff went to the game. Had I known! And finally, a picture of the nephew!