Friday, March 29, 2013

Great Great Gatsby

I'm only twenty-one pages in and I'm overwhelmed. So many like the following but this was the one that pushed me over the edge into setting the book down for a quick moment to record my thoughts.

"Something was making him nibble at the edge of stale ideas as if his sturdy physical egotism no longer nourished his peremptory heart." F. Scott Fitzgerald -The Great Gatsby

One sentence and your mouth assumes the posture of an opera singer. One sentence when said out loud that makes you feel like you're lounging warm on pure silk and satin clouds. One sentence that tastes like sheer decadence. Not in words or in message; strictly on structure, weight, depth. Horace Mann once said that a house without books is like a room without windows. In a society that is too lazy to correctly pronounce a simple three letter word, there's a lot to be said for the elegant prose of minds gone by. This is why I read. To escape, to dream, to learn, to preserve, to appreciate, to become more. More. In a world where the majority of communication has been reduced to hurried text messages with abbreviations, codes, and slang unrecognizable to the worlds greatest minds; a foreign language to the literary masters of the English language such as Shakespeare, Dickens, and Payne. In a world where television and film has to switch scenes an average of every 30 seconds to hold our decimated attention. In such a hurried massacred garble of un-intelligence that becomes every day life it's refreshing to let the beautiful prose roll languidly over the tongue and around your mouth. Page 22...


2 comments:

jill said...

This is my next read. Super excited to read it (never have) and see the movie!

Unknown said...

I have yet to read it but your post has me intrigued! I heartily agree with your thoughts on how the world has become so bogged down with shortened electronic messages these days...abbreviating words that really should be left in their beautiful original form, and making up symbols and things to replace words that reflect meaning and emotions. Well, you know I am with you - love my books, love my Nook and I am excited to see what other books you can inspire me to read. Cheers and happy reading!