Sunday, November 4, 2012

Requested Recipes

At the request of a dear friend of mine, I've decided to share a few of my new healthy-me eating plans. Quite honestly I hesitate to do so, becuase what has been healthy and helpful for me and my food issues certainly wouldn't work for everyone. And the most important part of being healthy and whole is to know yourself, and abide by what you know.   Few basic rules.  No dairy, no added sugar, no added salt, no cooking with oils, nothing processed.  Next up was the schedule. One of my issues was that I would get too busy or bored or just flat out forget to eat. It was not uncommon for me to not eat anything the entire day then get home from a grueling 12 hour shift at the ER and gorge on whatever comfort or processed food I could round up in my food depleted house. So the first thing I had to do was start grocery shopping, and then eating. For me, the strictly regimented schedule of eating something at least every two hours, and never going longer than three was great. It's a pretty basic pattern, a serving of protein, carb, and vegetable for breakfast and lunch with snacks of fruit and fat in between, then a protein and vegetable for dinner. I'm just not a morning person, so the thought of cooking --say an egg white and spinich onlette with a whole grain english muffin is just not going to happen in the morning, so I substituted a low-glycemic meal replacement shake.  But it's that simple. A serving of protein, vegetable, and carb for breakfast. two to three hours later I have a serving of fruit and healthy fat.  My favorite so far is a peach cut up and warmed in a small frying pan with cinammon and crunched up pecans. Any combination of fruit and nuts, or avacado will work.  Two hours later is lunch, another carb vegetable and protein. Two hours later, more fruit and fat, and then for dinner a vegetable and a protein. 

The portions are also key. The amount of calories your body needs in a day is dependant on your currant weight. And it took me at least the first two weeks to get used to actually eating so much food. But I could definitely feel a difference when my body got used to being fueled properly, and my natural metabolism kicked back in.  To find the portion guidelines and eating schedule I used go to the Advocare website and look up the 24-day challenge.  The meal plan and even a recipe book can be downloaded for free. I did the whole shebang with the herbal cleanse and all the vitamins and everything for the 24 days, but I've continued it to be my lifestyle. I just felt too good not to. The difference is I only take my regular multivitamin and fish oil supplements now. Back on track... so check out the serving size of each food category for your weight class. Follow it. It's amazing.  The thing I've found so great and sustainable about this way of living is that it's reasonable. You still eat carbs. You still eat fats, you still eat everything! Check out the website to get the list of healthy carbs...there's plenty of them. Just remember no instant rice and nothing processed. Take the time to do it the right way for yourself. You're worth the time.  Another important tool to remember is season!!! Just because it's healthy doesn't mean it has to be bland! Do you know how many spices there are besides salt?! And they're all better. Use every spice you like and as much of it as you like, you DON'T need salt, I promise you won't even miss it!!

Here's a couple of the recipes I've tried and loved so far. I have one day a week where I make all my food for the week, that way all I have to do is portion out what I need and I'm set. It takes no more than 15 minutes to throw my healthy food together for the day. Perfect!!

Slow Cooker Chicken Burritos:
4 Boeless-skinless chicken breasts trimmed of fat
8oz no-sugar added tomato sauce
1/2 c salsa
1pkg low sodium taco seasoning
1t chili pwd
1t cumin
2 cloves minced garlic

Put all ingredients in slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours. I like to shred the chicken then put it on a fresh salad with a cut up fresh tomato and low sodium rinsed black beans. No salad dressing needed, it's delish all on its own!

Lemon-Dill Baked Tilapia
8 Tilapia fillets, thawed
1/4 c low sodium chicken broth
1 lemon
Fresh dill sprigs

Line the bottom of a casserole dish with the tilapia fillets. Pour the chicken broth over the fish to prevent burning/sticking to the bottom of the pan. Cover the fish with a thin layer of fresh dill sprigs. Cover the dill with thin slices of fresh lemon. Bake at 450 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove the lemon slices and dill before serving/storing.

Pepper-Basted Grilled Chicken/Turkey

6T olive oil mayo
1T lemon juice
1T vinegar
1T pepper
1t sea-salt

Shake all ingredients together in a small jar/bottle. Baste a thin layey on chicken/turkey just before removing it from the frill. Store remaining baste in the fridge until next time!

Slow Cooker Chicken Azteca

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 c low sodium chicken broth
1 c no sugar added salsa
1 can low sodium black beans (rinsed and drained)
2 cloves minced garlic
1t cumin

Cook over low for 6-7 hours. This is another one where I like to shred the chicken in the slow cooker and eat it over a bowl of salad with fresh tomatoes. The chicken is good warm or cold over a salad.

That's it so far... it carries pretty far if you're just cooking for one :)  This week I'm making a slow-cooker Country Captain Chicken and a slow-cooker Marmalade Curry Chicken. I'll let you know how they turn out next Sunday. Perphaps along with next week's recipes of Hungarian Chicken, and Applesauce Chicken.  Happy healthiness my friends!!!

1 comment:

jill said...

Thanks for the recipes and ideas, looks good!