Sunday, October 10, 2010

'Tis the Season


...For baking and blankets and sweaters and scarves. And I've indulged in all of the above over the past weekend. Tonight, instead of making one of my go-to batches of cookies, I decided to be adventurous. You see, when I deep cleaned my kitchen a couple weeks ago, I threw away an expired bottle of vanilla extract. I did NOT as of yet replace it. So last night I was craving cookies, went to make some and realized that I didn't have vanilla. So I looked through the recipe book of my new kitchen aid to see if there was some yummy vanilla-less recipe for cookies. There was not. But, there was a recipe for these delectable looking creamy no-cook mints. So today I ran to the grocery store for vanilla extract, and picked myself up the ingredients to make some yummy mints. And since I was feeling extra adventurous, I picked up some food coloring so I could make my mints red, yellow, and orange. Very fall-like, no?

Well, turns out, mints aren't easy. They're quite messy. But I did it ...and they taste divine. They are not however red, yellow, and orange ...they are peachy, daffodil, and ...well ...not red. Nor are they the brown that I tried to turn the non-red into (don't ask someone who works in healthcare to describe this color). But, such is my life. It's never what you originally intended, and sometimes not even your backup plan looks like you thought it would. In the end it may look a little messy, but deep in the heart of things, it's the creamy minty goodness that overrides all else :) Happy fall everyone!

1 comment:

jill said...

yum! yay for creamy minty goodness in life and in your tummy.