Thursday, May 13, 2010

Tonight...

Tonight's food for thought brought to you by the thought inspiring writers of Grey's Anatomy:

"Ask most people what they want out of life, and the answer is simple. To be happy. Maybe it's this expectation, the wanting to be happy that just keeps us from ever getting there. Instead we just keep smiling, trying like hell to be the happy people we wish we were. Until eventually it hits us. It's been there all along. Not in our dreams or hopes, but in the known, the comfortable, the familiar."

Is it the fear of the unknown? The fear that nothing better will come along, that we've already been as happy as it's possible to be? Is it searching for something better and the yearning and hoping for the happiness --that is supposed to be the journey, not the destination-- what keeps us from actualizing our dreams? The hopes and dreams of a better fantasy life that blocks our sights of what the happiness actually is? Thoughts anyone?

1 comment:

Amy F. said...

Ah, that is a lot to think about ;)
I feel happy when I think about my happiest times, but than I realize I'm enjoying life along the way as well. I guess I don't plan to be happier than I am now, and its working-each day I just have more to be happy about.

I expect a ton from myself, of course, but I'm happiest when I expect nothing in return of others (besides my children, haha).