Monday, May 3, 2010

Last night...

...I assisted on a pelvic exam where a surprise foreign body was found. The PA-C placed the foreign body on the exam table covered in copious amounts of foul smelling green and yellow pus. The patient looked at it, the PA and I looked at each other trying to hold in our giggles. The patient says to the PA, "WHAT is that?!" To which the PA replied, "You tell me." The patient looked at the purulent slimy coated foreign body and said, "Oh my gosh! I haven't seen that for months!!" It wasn't a tampon.

I found a used condom --not of the medical kind while cleaning a room that a patient had just been discharged from.

I saw a very elaborate and detailed --and very large --phallic drawing, in pen, covering a patient's entire back.

I had a patient with such a massive intercerebellar bleed that her tonsills were herniating down her throat.

I had a patient that we diagnosed with a giant left temporal mass. She became went from a completely independent active life to completely non-verbal in 2 hours.

I took care of a 8 month old in severe respiratory distress, and several other patients in between.

And this was all in the last 8 hours of my shift. I spent the first 6 hours in triage hating people for not understanding that Emergency Rooms are for LIFE THREATENING emergencies. And now, I'm going to bed. Goodnight.