Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Food for thought....

Couple thoughts running through my increasingly jaded and cynical mind:

I LOVE the 4th of July. It's my all time favorite holiday ...and I actually have it off this year yay!!! So here's the thing. Why do office people need to take Friday off? Oh no, a holiday falls on a weekend when we already have the day off, we better give ourselves an extra weekday off to make up for it. We can't have a holiday pass without giving you desk people bank people and post office people an extra un-needed non-holiday day off. This would be tragic. Yes, I work nights weekends and holidays like it was any other time, any other day. I chose it, and I wouldn't trade it, but I don't understand why you all get a day off when it's not a holiday, just because you already have the actual holiday off. It makes no sense.

Also, I hate the post office. Remember the episode of Friends when Monica and Joey are discussing that Joey's mom wasn't actually invited to Mon and Chandler's wedding, but Joey told her she was, and she was all offended that she hadn't received an official invitation yet? Joey told Monica to just blame it on the post office because his parents hated the post office. I have become Joey's parents. I hate the post office. I hate going there, I hate parking there, I hate waiting in line there, I don't like it any more when there isn't a line, I hate talking to the people there, I hate mailing things, I hate buying stamps, I think its rediculous that the price of stamps keeps going up. I don't understand why I can't just send letters via ups or fedex. I have no real reason for my disdain, and I don't feel I need an actual reason. I just don't like it. And I haven't for a while. It just keeps getting worse. I think the post office knows I don't like them and as retribution doesn't deliver all my mail. This has been a problem since I moved here. The chances are about 50/50 on whether the items you send actually get here if you send them via the post office. Letters or packages --large and small. Most recently I had to wait 6 weeks to get a package that was sent and that I should have received in three days. Max. My friend who sent the package asked if I still had what she sent, and if I did -could I please take pics of it for her. This is how I figured out I didn't have it. She contacted the post office she sent it from, and they told her they couldn't do anything for 30 days. I contacted the post office here and they said there was nothing they could do. Two weeks later, what mysteriously appears in my mailbox? The missing package. I hate the post office. So, should anyone feel a need to send me packages and presents for my birthday (you still have 9 days) I recommend you send them ups or fedex.

Those are my two annoyances for the day :) On the upside I spent a lovely full day at the lake today and it was fabulous. 85 and sunny all week! :)

3 comments:

Mindy said...

TONI! I hate the post office too! LOATHE it!! I hardly ever mail anything simply because I don't want to go there!!

Secondly, the government made up the crazy Federal holiday jargon with getting Friday off if the holiday is on Saturday (and Monday is the holiday is on Sunday). You know how in school you have to attend 180 days? I think the government does a thing the exact opposite where you have to have a certain amount of days OFF ... And, being a government funded agency I work for ... I LOVE IT!!!!

This is more than you ever wanted to know ... But my roommate works for the city where they are doing four days of 10 hours and have Fridays off. Well, since Friday is the designated day off for the fourth, and they already have it off, she gets today off too!!! Now THAT is crazy. :)

Miss you!

P.s. I was thinking of Big Mean Scary Guy yesterday. Ugh.

Unknown said...

I forgot all about big mean scary guy!!!! I wonder if is still rockin at oakridge...

Blasé said...

I was a Mailman for 9 10 years. I quit, had enough.

Be safe this weekend.