Monday, September 22, 2008

A Bittersweet Day

I have wrote and re-wrote this post so many times I've lost count. The fact is, it can't be done. It can't end. Yankee Stadium will live on forever in the hearts and memories of millions who have walked through it's hallowed walls. The place is larger than life. I could spend hours telling you about the rich history, the storied pomp, and character of the best venue in sports history, but those who would really get it don't need me to tell you, and those who don't already know won't gain anything from me trying to explain. It's one of those things that simply has to be experienced. You don't need to know the history of this place to feel the vibration ad electricity run under your feet when you're at a game. You don't need to know the intricacies of the legends who roamed the field here to feel their presence. You might not have known that's what you were feeling, but those who have experienced it know that there is nothing like it in the world. It isn't something that can be explained or quantified. The great cathedral of baseball, the house that Ruth built, Yankee Stadium has hosted it's last baseball game. There is a beautiful new stadium going up across the street that is waiting with open arms to welcome new records and new legends to be made. The spirit of the fans will still be there, and the pride power and pinstriped tradition will still be there. I like to think that before April 16th of next year, you will be able to hear the cleats of the ghosts of Yankee Stadium as they cross the street to make a new hallowed ground out of the new Stadium. Old record books are closed and new ones are ready and waiting to be written upon. No matter where the Yankees call home --be it the north or south side of 161st & River Ave in the Bronx, the spirit that makes the Yankees will follow. You can take the Yanks out of the old stadium, but you can't take the spirit of the old stadium out of the Yanks. The Yankees are pinstripes and perfection wherever they hang their hats. Many memories were made here, and I have many memories that I saw myself while here, my own favorite memories of the stadium that I will keep with me forever, as do countless others. So thank you to the Yankees -past and present. Thank you to the Steinbrenners, and thank you to the fellow fans who have made this place what it is. There was a sign hung over the rafters at the final game last night that said it perfect. Yankee Stadium --the House that became a Home.


3 comments:

jill said...

oh I feel sad inside now. I'm glad that I got to go to a game there!! Go Yankees!

Jeff Johnson said...

I hate the Yankees (GO METS!)

But I respect the tradition and wish I had made a treck there to witness a game.

Mindy said...

I don't even pay attention to major league baseball and I still feel sad! Hahaha. I am so lame. Stupid athletics get me every time!